Can You Remove A DUI From Your Record?

Can You Remove A DUI From Your Record?

20 May 2020
 Categories: , Blog

No matter what criminal offense you are charged with, you may know that your record sticks with you for the rest of your life. A DUI conviction can make it more difficult for you to find work, get into college, or find a home that you love.

So, it makes sense that you might want to remove a DUI from your record. After all, nobody wants those offenses to follow them forever. Curious about if this is possible? This guide will help you.

Can You Get a DUI Sealed?

Are you hoping for records of your case to be sealed? This means that it would require a court order to reveal this information. Often, juvenile records are sealed when somebody turns 18. If you were a minor when you were convicted of a DUI, you may be able to have the records sealed.

Can You Get a DUI Expunged?

Expungement is a little different from having a case sealed. Expungement involves removing the case from public record. Often, this happens when a case is dismissed or when there is some other special circumstance involved. In most cases, expungements are not available after a conviction.

Generally, judges are the only ones who can grant expungements.

Can You Get a DUI Pardoned?

A pardon occurs after a conviction is secured. The pardon does not mean that the conviction goes away, but it does cancel the defendant's punishment post-conviction. Essentially, the law forgives the individual who was convicted of the crime.

Generally, you cannot have a DUI pardoned. A pardon will be issued by a state governor, and this is often reserved for specific types of offenses. Of course, every state is a little different.

Which One Is Better?

Expungement is typically the preferred option, especially because it means that the records are completely deleted. It is as if the arrest or conviction never even happened.

How Can You Get a DUI Expunged?

The first step to get an expungement is to allow some time to pass. You should not pursue expungement immediately. You need to demonstrate that you do not have a history or habit of criminal activity. You should especially avoid involvement with any serious felonies. You should also complete your sentence, which could involve parole and probation.

Your next step is to file for expungement in the same place where you were convicted. A criminal defense or DUI attorney firm like Daniels Long & Pinsel can help you understand your next steps.

About Me
Seeking Help From A Criminal Attorney

Hi there, my name is Kennedy Laughlin. Welcome. I am here to talk to you about acquiring help from a criminal attorney. My best friend was recently involved in a situation that resulted in a slew of criminal charges. Although my friend admits to being present, he did not actually commit the crimes that were listed on his charge sheets. When he acquired help from a criminal attorney, he was able to purposefully move through the court process without worry. I created this site to help everyone understand how criminal attorneys can help them fight unfair charges. Thank you for coming by.